Sunday, November 30, 2008

Presentation

With my presentation just a few short days away, I finally got started on the mechanics of my presentation. I've been writing my speech and working on the paper for the LCLCPL, so the part I worked on this weekend was the Powerpoint. I decided for simplicity's sake that I would just give a Powerpoint presentation rather than trying to ask everyone to actually go into Second Life - it's just not feasible for a 5 minute presentation.

My presentation looks a little bare, but that's what Powerpoint slides are supposed to look like - in a proper presentation, the slides are simply an outline of what the speaker is discussing, a way to keep everyone watching the presentation on the same timeline. Most of my information will be given in my speech, which is both good and bad. The good part is it keeps me from repeating what's already on the slides and I can improvise if someone has a question. The bad part is that not everyone is an audio learner, so they may miss important information.

I've put a picture from Second Life on every other slide in my presentation because I think it will keep everyone interested. It shakes things up, and I'm able to show what I'm talking about right after I finish talking about it. It also keeps it from getting boring - how many pictures of SL can you really see in 5 minutes?

For the rest of the weekend and the beginning part of the week, I need to review my Powerpoint and finish writing my speech. The paper doesn't have to be "turned in" until next week so I'm putting that aside for the moment - I have it all outlined and some sources, so I'll still be able to write my speech and give a professional presentation to my peers.

No comments: