Thursday, October 9, 2008

Finally - I know my Final Project!

So I finally managed to pin Mary down this week about my final project! She L-O-V-E-S the idea of an outline, since I told her there would be no way I could create her space in 7 short weeks. So I will be doing the outline for her - what to put and why, how to create it, special features she should have, etc. It's sort of half business plan/half project outline. I'm going to try to make it as complete as possible, including staff training time and what basics they should all know, steps the library needs to take to implement SL, and even promotion of the LCLCPL island - if none of the patrons know about the island, they won't be visiting it and it will be a failure. Mary also told me that the head of the entire LCPL system, Helen, wants to see a presentation of my project - I told her this was perfect, as I had to do a presentation for the class anyway. She was really excited that I was up for it - the presentation will be given to Helen, Mary, the rest of the youth services staff, and anyone else who is interested. Makes me a bit nervous!

I also convinced Mary to focus on SL, rather than Teen SL. She said that she hopes if SL is successful, they could maybe explore the TSL options, but that's at least 5 years away. This takes a lot of pressure off me, as I was afraid she would really be insistent on sticking to TSL.

Today I checked out both of the SL books Goldstein has, and I plan to spend the next few weeks looking through them. While the class sessions in SL were very helpful, I know there's tons of stuff we didn't get to cover.

The discussion last night was helpful. I honestly didn't think it would be, but my classmates had some good sources, including the SL wiki. I had totally forgotten about that, so it was nice to be able to share sources. Of course, now that I'm all excited about my final project again, it's time to put it on hold to finish my short wiki paper! :P

No comments: