Thursday, September 25, 2008

Final Project Contingency Thoughts

I am still no closer to knowing what platform the LCLCPL is going to use to enter the world of virtual reference service. I'm really starting to get worried, as my emails to Mary get responses like "I'll let you know" or "We're working on it." I'm going to try to go see her Monday to pin her down. I know they are really gung-ho about entering SL, but after last night's class, in which Dr. Mon so nicely explained that one beginner to SL working alone for 10 weeks was not likely to be able to create the kind of space the LCLCPL wants, I'm going to have to withdraw my offer to create the stuff on their island, if they choose to go into SL.

However, I could offer to create a project plan for them - break down what they would need to do, how to advertise in both SL and RL, how many projected man hours it would take for each step. See, Mary is rather counting on hiring me when the funds for the LCLCPL's Teen Librarian open up, and she thinks that if I can get it started now, as a school project, I will be well prepared to maintain the island once the Teen Librarian is in place. Which is why I think they wouldn't be disappointed with just a project proposal, as it would lay everything out and then the Teen Librarian, be it me or someone else, would just have to execute it.

And executing this project is the most fun to me. I want to see all my hard work go live, and see the public reaction to it. Of course, I may not get to see the public reaction even if I do get to execute the project, because it is virtual. And in Vilies' article for this week, the first characteristic she mentions of virtual libraries is that the users are usually remote. So even if I get to make a Facebook page for the LCLCPL, chances are that most people will be accessing it from their own homes, not from inside the library.

No comments: